Assessment of BSN and RN-BSN 2017-2018

Assessment Tools

Theory

  • Multiple choice questions (MCQs).
  • TBL / CBL
  • Assignment
  • Quiz

Clinical

  • Standardized patients in the skills lab – Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
  • Interpretation and problem solving of laboratory data/patient data.

Comprehensive Examination

Failure to appear for the final examination will result in grade “F”. Students failing a course have to appear and pass the repeat examination/s to be promoted to next academic year.

Eligibility for appearing for university examination is 75% attendance in theory and 95% attendance in clinical.

A student will be permitted a maximum of two academic years to complete the RN-BSN bridge program. A student who does not pass a course in three chances will be subject to academic dismissal from the program

Assessment of MSN program:

Assessment, Evaluation, Grading and Promotion

Students shall be assessed continuously through assignments, seminars, tests, problem solving exercises, and mid semester examination for each course. The mid semester examination pattern is similar to that of the end semester examination, as per the standard norms of number of credits vs the length of assessment time.  The faculty/chairperson shall forward the raw marks to the Office of the Examination which will be converted to the grade points and forwarded to the Dean for dissemination.

Similarly the student will be assessed at the end of a clinical rotation and the assessment components will include: Case Studies, Case Presentations and clinical evaluation.  At the end of the assessment the faculty/chairperson will forward the raw marks to the Office of the Examination which will be converted to the grade points and forwarded to the Dean for dissemination. The continuous assessment components for each nursing course shall be graded for 60% of the marks. This 60% of the marks will be given weightage as shown below in 1.11.1. The end semester examinations shall be graded for the remaining 40% marks.

Continuous Assessment grading for nursing courses Theory & Clinical


Area of Assessment

Mid semester Continuous Assessment

Written Assignment

Problem based Learning

Seminars

Total of col.3-5
40%

Theory

60%

10%

15%

15%

40%

 

 

OSCE

Clinical Evaluations

Clinical Assignments

Clinical Presentations/Case Studies

 

Clinical

60%

15%

10%

 

15 %

 

40%


During the examinations, theory, and where applicable clinical examinations shall be held for each course and graded for 40% of the total marks in the determination of the final grade.

Assessment
Theory

Type of Assessment – Written examination

Distribution

 

Multiple choice questions

 

50%

 

RRE/Short Essays

 

50%


Clinical

  • Actual patients– Objective Structured Practical Examination.
  • Interpretation and problem solving of laboratory data/patient data.

Failure to appear for the final examination will result in grade “F”. Students failing a course have to appear and pass the make-up examination/s to be promoted to the next academic year.